Thursday, December 3, 2009

I want to go where?…

Among my malistsny lists, I am constantly writing lists of places/ experiences I want to go/ have.  I have been writing these lists since I was very young – I dare say before I could write – I knew what I wanted and would plot how to get there.  I will say I have done quite a few things on these lists, every once in a while I will find a list tucked in a book,  on in a file and realize I have been there done that – got the key chain (T-shirts aren’t my thing).  Here are ten places or experiences that are still on the list: (In no particular order of course)800px-Sweden_Ice_Hotel_1

1. Stay in an Ice Hotel…  Brrrrr… I don’t know why I am so fascinated with these hotels made of ice, I am not in love with cold -  I enjoy winter – but not as a permanent season.  I don’t like cold food, I prefer no ice in my beverages –however, I do love - how snow covers everything, how quiet the world is when it is snowing, and watching each snow flake fall gracefully to the earth.  Every year I wish for Birthday Snow – Dec 13th – every once in a while I even get it!  No Ice Hotel in particular but perhaps the closest ice hotel in Quebec, Canada: Hôtel de Glace 3853855115_c790ba744cperhaps I could use that Canadian Money I still have from Calgary.

2. Beginning of US Route 1, in Fort Kent, Maine.  Route 1 -  I have traveled many of your scenic byways, I have walked along you, I live right off of you, you stretch from Maine to Florida, I have been to th84%20Carat%20Diamonde end, I want to go to the beginning.

3.  Crater Of Diamonds State Park, Arkansas.  Why not! – I’ll dig for diamonds! I like shiny things!

4. I think I want to do this… The Devil’s Swimming Pool is located in Victoria Falls, Tourists_swimming_at_Victoria_FallsZimbabwe.  During the months of September and December, one can venture out to the very edge of the 128 meter (420 feet) tall waterfall and swim around. I want to believe it’s quite safe- yet pee in your pants - thrilling – If I was already in Africa – perhaps for an African safari (also something I’d like to do) – and just a stones throw away in Sept. or Dec.  I’d go – but would I specifically plan to go to Vista_de_Machu_PicchuAfrica just for this purpose -  probably not.

  5. Towering 8000 feet (2430 m) high in the Andes Mountains of Petra-Ray1Peru sits the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu.  I’ll take the train, thank you.

6. Petra, Jordan – ever since I watched Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade I have wanted to see this place in person.

 

7. The Great Pyramids of Giza – Just follow the Nile river to ancient tombs and ruins – ok, they’re kind of a big deal and probably on everyone’s listKheops-Pyramid - here’s my angle - Egyptian design is so intriguing, a people who traveled, traded, conquered, ruled for centuries and yet their design was so little influenced by outsiders and so influential to the

8. Spend the night inside Cinderella's castle, disney-cinderella-castleDisney World.  It’s magic – even the chance to stay there is by a magical chance (click to read an article about the magic!) cinderella-castle-suite-blog

9. Stay in a French Chateau  - of course I would love to own a chateau – and there are many on the market, but 1_1250969616_chateau-du-guarinetx-entrance staying in one would be just fine – and there are many affordable options – I am keen on the Loire Valley Options or perhaps a rent-a- castle but the one that most interests me is the Chateau du Guerinet – I stumbled across this site years ago – I love that the Clemence Family, are your hosts – they boast of all the modern technology and conveniences yet it is like stepping into a fairytale.  Save me a room! 

   10.  Iceland – yes indeed the land of fire and ice- I was planning – seriously planning a trip there – travel books and all – then I learned Iceland Air offers a fantastic layover deal – extend your layover in Iceland for up to 7 days – quite the layover – well that’s my kiniceland_iced of offer – two trips for one! – but where to go for the other destination – and more importantly when – Do I want to play golf or ski at midnight (i really don’t do either – but daylight at midnight I just gotta) or do I go for the Fire and Ice Show –  lava and glaciers all on the same trip, shop in Reykjavik, buy a traditional Icelandic sweater, swim and relax in the heated thermal waters of the blue lagoon, I’ve read there are incredible chefs making wondrous culinary delights, geysers landscape-of-the-southern-iceland-iii(the only common Icelandic word), untouched meadow lands, whale watching, black basalt beaches, the northern lights, or my personal favorite: I want to go to this little island of the north side called Grimsey- the northernmost inhabited island off the coast of Iceland, going there means crossing the Arctic Circle, for which certificates are issued!

 

There are scads more… perhaps another 10 another time!

No comments: