Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Adventures in Singapore: Chapter 5: Durian Fruit.

There is this wicked looking fruit in Southeast Asia called Durian (duri= thorny an=building).  I read about it on one of the online Singapore travel guides – it was describedDSC03534 as  smelling and tasting like “eating garlic ice cream while standing next to an open sewer” Wow! They weren’t kidding. 

My first encounter was while walking through the market in Chinatown.  there was this putrid smell – almost indescribably disgusting. Sickly with a brief bit of sweetness – but not sweet – rancid, rotten, decaying flesh with a spicy bitter bite of an aroma.  It filled my sinuses, I couldn’t get the stench of it out of my nose for the rest of the day, it was one of those smells that cause a gag reflex reaction– it was powerful – and I was only down wind -  I didn’t see any – but they were there.  It wasn’t until I was at the wet market the next day that I was able to put a shape to the name and smell.  I took a fewDSC03499 snapshots See above & left) they just scream “Don’t touch me!” “Eat me if you dare”  “danger, danger” (looking like a medieval weapon – swinging from a chain).DSC03521

It is unfortunate and un comprehendible that anyone ever looked at the spiny, brutal thing and thought, “Hmmm, that grows on a tree – bet it’s a fruit – bet I could eat it.” It has a very, very hard outer casing- difficult to open – guess that was the fun part of the challenge! After getting it open and smelling it’s pungent fragrance I just can’t believe someone still proceeded to put it in their mouth – and (I gag to think of it) eat it!  Apparently it isn’t that bad to eat – (reminder when ever someone says “not that bad” I remind them that still doesn’t mean it’s good) – I didn’t try it, I didn’t feel it was a necessary fruit to taste – I caught enough of the flavor in a whiff!I wasn’t privy to seeing the inner parts that clearly, a woman at the wet market was hacking away at the flesh and pith (above).   You can see a cut version nicely opened I found on the internet, fruit resembles foie gras – from what I understand the texture and flavor are equally bizarre.  They are a delicacy, called the “King of Fruit” enjoyed by those who eat them (on purpose). 

There are some interesting advertisements for Durians- certainly caught my eye.  While we were driving, I saw this huge billboard along a Singapore highway with this good looking guy durian adsitting among a pile of Durians – and eating one… yeah right… apparently if you eat Durians you’ll be cool like this guy… everyone is eating them… don’t you want some too… I didn’t fall File:The Esplanade 4, Singapore, Dec 05.JPGfor this peer pressured ad.  Then there is this sign I saw on the internet  about CIMB Bank – I guess they are selling the idea: “King of Fruit = King of Bank”.  There is even a Durian looking building in Singapore – the Esplanade

Image:Singapore FineCity.JPGNow before you think me biased against these fruits because I can not embrace another culture’s delicacies, I must let you know I am not the only person who feels this fruit is odd and smelly, after all it is featured on the Things that Stink website & there are signs on the MRT (subway of Singapore) and in hotels prohibiting Durians... 

Singapore Lesson#2 those medical face masks I saw so many people from Japan and China wear – I am sure I know why now… Durian smell filters!

No comments: