Sunday, November 6, 2011

Adventures in Singapore: Chapter 14: The Wet Market

Many Ex-Patriot’s are intimidated by the wet market shopping experience.  DSC03535This is where the locals go to get their fresh goods like fruits, vegetables and meats.  Much better prices than the regular grocery store, there’s also the link to local culture – sellers tell you which fruits are ripe – describe an unusual fruit or vegetable and tell you how they prepare it.  Beautiful Market, sights, sounds,the bustle of shoppers, and smells – fruity floral with wafts of durian, and dead fish and meat – sometimes a little pungent.     People going about their business, and me- the tourist, photographing the experience!   Jen and Jeff hadn’t taken photos of the wet market yet – I guess that would be like me taking photos in an American market – but then I realized, I do just that at home too – I love the look of fruits and vegetables piled on top of each other – raw beauty.  My market purchase: a bag of green tomatoes… I was so excited - yum! I had fried green tomatoes in March, in Singapore! Mmmm!

DSC03503DSC03502DSC03504

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC03522

DSC03507

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC03531

DSC03530

DSC03500

 

 

 

 

 

 

    DSC03506     DSC03511

 

 

 

 

 

                             Ginger                                                                         Eggplant

DSC03515

DSC03514

 

 

 

 

 

    

Asian Cucumber (I think)                                   Beans (Soy, I think)

DSC03509

DSC03510

 

 

 

 

 

                                                           Peanuts a.k.a ground nuts

    DSC03532DSC03533

 

 

 

 

 

                   Quail Eggs                              Star Fruit, Pineapples, and Golden Mangos – mmm.

DSC03524

   DSC03529

 

 

 

 

 

Dragon Fruit – Ehtne loves these!      Mangos, Asian Pear, Fragrant Pears, Melons

DSC03534  DSC03523

 

 

 

 

 

and wouldn’t want to miss durian fruit

DSC03512

 

 

 

 

 

Happy Vegetable Seller – posing for my picture!

 

We also picked out a potted Orchid plant for the Balcony – beautiful flower market

DSC03519 DSC03520

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jen buying fresh pork loin for Sunday’s Dinner  and Jeff and Emma bought some treats.

DSC03501

DSC03505

No comments: